April 26, 2017, 02:29:07 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: Silver Bullion  (Read 235 times)

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
Silver Bullion
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:50:26 PM »
Just a bit of a parallel post about silver.  I bought these coins on two separate occasions, about 8 months apart, but these are two stacks of 1oz Canadian Silver Maple coins, same year of mintage, etc.

I know its not the best picture, and I took this photo a few months ago, but I thought I'd post it anyway.  I am not going to get into the whole banknotes vs. coins stuff, but I have to admit that this does concern me.

Do you guys see the problem?

PS - this is not an illusion, or how I lined up the coins or the angle of the photo.  Again, I know its not the best photo, but what you see is actually a fact.  I purchased these from a super-reputable, super-corporate business that specializes in bullion and currency in Vancouver, not from some homeless guy on a corner ...

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:53:05 PM by Proteus »

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Bullion
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 10:07:58 PM »
Something is either too thick or too thin !

Time to get a silver test kit and a good digital scale, the weight should be exactly 31.1 grams regardless of year.

There are lots of fakes out there, including with silver coatings to fool the test kits.

You won't get any argument from me about bullion vs. banknotes !

Although I can sell a bullion coin just about anywhere around here, not so with notes.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:18:23 AM »
I can't imagine anything being fake.  This is because I bought from VBCE and they get all their bullion straight from the Canadian mint.  I don't really know what to think anymore.

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
Something is beyond the normal range of variation, you could expect one or two thousandths that should cancel either way, but not a consistent four or five thousandths oversize or undersize unless one entire stack is from the same mint run.

I'd take the coins and your receipts back to the shop and show them the problem, and insist on proof of authenticity, test and weight, right there at the counter.  It wouldn't be the first time a shop found fakes in their inventory.