December 17, 2017, 09:05:26 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: Postal Theft of Paper Money  (Read 1044 times)

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
Postal Theft of Paper Money
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
Today, I've been looking at banknotes on eBay, and I came across this shipping disclaimer:

"Unless you are willing to pay the USPS rates for Registered Shipment I am unwilling to refund purchases dispatched to countries run as organized Kleptocracies."

Ha ha ha ... never heard of it being put that way. 

benuminister

• View Profile
Re: Postal Theft of Paper Money
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
So the seller is against any nation where the richest have control of government? Well I guess China and the US are out then.

cortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
Some sellers probably do not realize that they may not want to refund stolen items, but if buyer makes a claim eBay will almost automatically decide in favour of buyer and force refund anyway.

And stolen banknotes is quite common. I usually have 5-7 shipments lost per year, most likely stolen in transit. Interestingly that registered mail do not help - in fact registered mails disappears more often then regular. Few times I got registered mail already open with all the packaging inside - except for banknotes, but usually mail just disappear.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
Yes, it is true that eBay/PayPal will force refunds for items that have not arrived.  I think that the only hope that a seller has is to send via registered mail, and show eBay/PayPal that the registered items are marked as "Arrived" by the corresponding postal service.  However, I have noticed that a lot of registered mail that comes to me is usually just put in my mailbox, and sometimes it is marked as "Arrived" or "Delivered" and sometimes it remains "In Transit" forever (even though I have received it, and have given feedback on eBay).

Technically either the buyers or the sellers could take advantage of the inherent flaws in this system.  However, there truly is not way to guarantee anything on a sale-per-sale basis.  The only true way to combat cheating and theft, is via the feedback system on eBay, which will begin to make a seller look bad, but only over time (ie. if the feedback indicates that items consistently do not arrive on a regular basis) or make a  buyer look bad if he complains a lot based on the feedback he has given.  No single transaction is guaranteed.

But there are definitely countries where the postal system is being pillaged by its employees.  There are definite patterns and data.  For example, I consistently see sellers that refuse to sell to China, Russia, Italy, etc.

One day I will become a seller, but I am definitely not looking forward to the headaches.  I think the first year or so will definitely be a "learning by trial and error" (not my favourite way to learn).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:32:19 AM by Proteus »

benuminister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »
I wish I could be a seller but I imagine those little headaches would get to me. However I think it'd be fun to add a little historical write up to each banknote I sold.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 12:37:56 AM »
If you think that mail theft and buyer cheating will get to you, I don't imagine that it would be fun to write about errant sales.  I know that for me personally, it would just amplify the headaches.

Myself, I believe that I have been around long enough to be able to make generalizations about the world around me (realizing, at the same time, that they are generalizations).  Hence, when I go to sell I will have very specific guidelines and limitations that will minimize my personal risk as a seller, and these guidelines will surely include the refusal to sell to individuals in certain countries with very few, if any, exceptions.

benuminister

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
What countries would you exclude if selling?

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »
I'll have to do some research at the time.  As I say, there is already a pretty good consensus on eBay.  Sadly, I think the list of exclusions would be very long.

cortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »
I have one buyer fraud when I really lost money for last three or so years I'm selling banknotes on eBay (although I do it on a very small scale, few banknotes per month, usually not very expensive). It was purchase that turns out to be made using stolen credit card, and later I was charged by PayPal for whole amount. There was also one possible fraud attempt - this time I was cautious and just cancel bids from buyer I consider suspicious. So not that much headache actually :) And it is quite fun to see bids on your items :)

As for exclusion, I come up to exclude all African countries, some South Europe (Bulgaria, Romania, etc.), most of South-East Asia and some Middle East countries. I had few purchases from China and India (even quite expensive) and all went well.

Colonial

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:24 AM »
A bit late this post but...

I must admit I haven't had any trouble sending banknotes to certain countries such as Russia and China. When I sold my Russian notes a while ago (some high value ones as well), most (c.30) went to Russia by registered post and all got there. Three notes went to China and all arrived.

This is not to say, of course, that people have been 'stung'. There are honest people everywhere but some countries seem to be a little more 'liberal' than others. I think the best way forward is to check on the buyer as much as one needs to check on the seller. That doesn't eliminate the dodgy postal worker of course.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »
I recently purchased some banknotes from Noteshobby, one of my favourite sellers, and I did not receive them.  The seller refunded the money, but has now discontinued shipping to Canada.  :(   <------ super sad face, seriously

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
Kind of an odd response on his part, considering the hazard is in Bangkok.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
Indeed.  I have received the notes now, and have "refunded the refund" and he has added me to an exception list of buyers, but I think its a case of "S.O.L." for most Canadian buyers.  Its a shame.

As an added note:  there is a huge outbreak of Fentanyl abuse and deaths (sp?) in Canada, all of which appears to be coming from Asia.  I think its no coincidence that mail from Asia is arriving waaaaaaay later than it normally would.  I spoke with some of my friends, and they've been receiving packages and parcels from China after unusually long delays, with a relatively large portion of it having been opened and then resealed by the Canada Customs Agency.  Maybe one thing has nothing to do with the other, but who knows ...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:20:06 PM by Proteus »

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
We're seeing the Fentanyl wave here, too.  Lots of ODs, lots of problems.  It's coming in mainly from Asia through Mexico, using the established smuggling organization. 

Death to drug dealers.