April 26, 2017, 02:34:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: Non english alphabet based serial number prefix  (Read 64 times)

agnumista

• View Profile
Non english alphabet based serial number prefix
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
Hi,

I have few Bangladesh banknotes where the prefix for the serial numbers are written using the Bengali language characters (non-English). How do we record these serial number prefixes?

Do we just drop the prefix and reflect the numerical section of the prefix in roman numerals?

Any advise will be highly appreciated. Right now I have not recorded the serial numbers in my collection, but would like to do so till the time I am able to upload the image.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Non english alphabet based serial number prefix
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
Good question !  I used to have a Bengali alphabet sheet, but it disappeared some years ago.  Perhaps something could be posted here on the site.  Arabic characters is another bugbear for prefixes, for me.

My Excel inventory has the Roman Numeral serial, but ideally, I will scan my entire collection and link the image to the line item on the spreadsheet. 

agnumista

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »
Thanks Paxbrit.

I figured it out. I added the Bengali Keyboard to my desktop and am able to type in the characters in bengali - both the alphabets and the numbers.

Also, I figured that some of the banknotes have the dates in their native languages. For my coin collection I use the following site for date conversion to the Gregorian calendar. Maybe it will be useful here as well: http://dateconverter.net/

Please delete the link if this posting does not meet the requirements of this site.

Regards ....

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
Aha, an APP !  Good solution.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:31 PM »
That's a great app.  Thanks for posting it.