June 25, 2017, 07:03:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: General Deniken's Rostov Army  (Read 70 times)

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
General Deniken's Rostov Army
« on: April 18, 2017, 05:41:33 PM »
A nice note from Yuri 111, he has several of the Russian Civil War notes from 1918-1922 era.  This is one of the notes produced for General Denikin's White Army in the south of Russia, around Rostov in the Ukraine.

Most of this 'White' notes feature artwork of the Archangel, and the Romanov two-headed eagle. 

Denikin's army was partly funded and armed by the British and French, and enjoyed several successes, but when the Allies left in 1919, Denikin made an alliance with Sobieski's Poland.  The two fought as allies in the Russo-Polish War of 1920, but only Poland enjoyed a successful outcome.  By the end of 1920 Denikin's army was defeated and Ukraine part of Bolshevik Russia.

For a good read on this era, get a copy of 'Last Train over Rostov Bridge', an enjoyable account of the only American pilot who flew for the White Army in the Ukraine.  The author, Capt. Marion Aten, lived in my home town at the time and was a local celebrity.  When his memoir was published in 1960, a copy found it's way into our family library, and I have it still.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
Re: General Deniken's Rostov Army
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
Nice!  Thank you for posting that.  My background is from Poland, and unfortunately I do not know nearly as much history as I should, so I am happy to learn of this White Army.  Hurray allies of Poland  ;)  It is also a fantastic privilege to actually hear extraordinary stories of historic events from individuals who were there, and especially those who took part.  Personally, as I don't live in Poland, I've been ridiculously fortunate to call two elderly gentlemen friends:  one who flew with the RAF during WWII (squadron 303), and another who survived Auschwitz.  Both have been a fountain of knowledge and wisdom, among other things.

benuminister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »
Definitely a nice piece. I've been slowly expanding my collection from in and around the Russian Civil War Era and man there was a tonne put out at the time. Denkin as I remember it eventually resigned his position and left the leadership to the Volunteer Army of Russia to Pyotr Wrangel who himself issued his own notes.

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:01:29 AM »
Yes, General Deniken resigned his post and left for the west.  He exiled to Paris, until 1940, then rural exile in France for the remainder of the war.  The US took custody of the General in 1945 to prevent the French Communist Party from insisting on the Yalta Accords for the old war horse, they wanted to turn him over to Joseph Stalin for execution.

In 1945, the General came to the United States, until his death from a heart attack in 1947. 

I need to get serious about my Russian Civil War notes, everytime I acquire one it's exciting to me, and I enjoy the stories of the battles, exiles, betrayals, etc., on both sides.  Probably because of Capt. Marion Aten back when I was a kid.

I think you could have a very, very, nice collection of Civil War notes even if you collected nothing else.   The specialized catalog listings for them runs just over 50 pages.

benuminister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
Well not to mention the series of separatist movements that popped up during the war as well. Personally the one I'd like to get was made by one of the so called "Green Armies" which opposed both the communist and White Russian forces.

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
Lots of 'em, weren't there?  Far as I know, there were red, white, blue, green, and black armies, being respectively Bolsheviki, Mensheviki, Moscow Loyalists, Peasant opposed to crop seizures by any other Army, and the Anarchists.  The Anarchists used to be the front goons for the Bolsheviki, but were soon tossed out on their ear as a danger to Red Society.  I don't know of a note listing by flag other than in Pick.

The Reds were probably the first use of poison gas, on the Blue Army, in the forests around northern Moscow.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:43:49 AM by Paxbrit »