December 17, 2017, 09:11:31 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: Banco Italiano  (Read 377 times)

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Banco Italiano
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
Just had to pull the pin on this beauty of an engraved note from Uruguay. 

The portrait of the Victorian-era mustachioed general alone, is worth the price of the note. 

This is my first graded note from South America, and the oldest, from 1887.  A lovely PMG-graded UNC 64.  They literally don't come any nicer than this, as a graded note, anyway,  this is the top note in the PMG population.

I'll have to check, but I'm fairly certain the cattle scenes on the back were also been used on some Mexican Bancos about 20 years later.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:54:38 AM by Paxbrit »

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
Re: Banco Italiano
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
Fantastic banknote, with a portrait of Columbus as well, as an added bonus.  I am not sure about the "cattle scene" but that bulls head seems extremely familiar.  Argentina note, perhaps?  I can't recall ...

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Banco Italiano
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 04:45:56 PM »
OK, found it on Ebay, no need to dig out my own, it's from Banco de Sonora, in Northwest Mexico, 1901-1914.    I knew I'd seen this design before.

That large cabeza de vaca is familiar to me, too, no idea where it's been used, though, other than this Uruguay note.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:56:44 PM by Paxbrit »