January 20, 2018, 08:49:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: Show us your Christmas Gift to Yourself !  (Read 236 times)

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Show us your Christmas Gift to Yourself !
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:44:31 PM »
We all like to get a special note for ourselves for the Christmas season, heres' mine, the Scotland Royal Bank 100 Pound note from the Lord Ilay series.

This series features beautiful engravings of Scottish castles, such as Inverness, Edinburgh, etc.  This has the royal castle at Balmoral, a favorite of Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth.

Now I'm officially broke for several weeks of hobby budget !

akaardvark387

• View Profile
Re: Show us your Christmas Gift to Yourself !
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 05:11:12 AM »
As you have posted the Fifty some days ago, I thought, this is nice, but isn't there a Hundred as well. Well... I can only say congratulations.

I made a birthday present for myself by increasing the number of West African notes I have to 9 (but that is related to a separate story I wanted to write here). Christmas/New year presenting myself is on hold.  :D

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
Yes, that fifty led directly to this hundred!  Road to hell, good intentions, and all that.

Please do post one of your new West African notes, we'd love to see it.  I've managed to work up to 5 FWA notes now, they certainly are lovely.

There's no rules for this thread, you can post Christmas Past, Christmas Future, or this years' Christmas Present.  No note needs to be scarce or valuable, just one you picked out and said, 'That's my present for me'.

akaardvark387

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »
Here is one - it is culturally interesting how it is or was simple to show a naked person on the African banknote (this is not the only one), but I could hardly imagine that some European note has such a motive (OK, France had half-naked "Liberty guides the people", but that is the painting, and is half-naked). In both cases it was a French designer. :D

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »
Nice note!

The French African notes are outstanding.  I'm glad that they've continued the colorful designs once independence came around, certainly does make Africa a really good choice if you want to specialize.

Be sure to post some more FWA notes when you can, as they say, 'nobody doesn't like 'em'.

Hope to see your story or article about your FWA when you can. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:09:27 PM by Paxbrit »

akaardvark387

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
OK, maybe I have put a too strong statement, I had the feeling "well, I have definitely seen some muscles", like:

https://www.realbanknotes.com/banknote/32715-Yugoslavia-p33-1000-Dinara-from-1935

but these two on the back side are male, and although Vasa Pomorisac (the designer) was not French but Serb, it is still "French School".

And also, it is a great banknote, I would really like to have :)

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
Another nice note, no doubt.  Christmas is coming, you know, and then there's those post-Christmas shopping trips!

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 11:30:38 PM »
@paxbrit:  shopping trips to your PC and eBay?  ha ha ha

I just went on a small "spree" on eBay.  It is not so much tied in with Christmas at all, but more of the fact that I actually finally had some "me time" to go online and browse a bit; it has been a crazy year.  I ended up buying a few high denomination notes from Guinea and Swaziland, to come a bit closer to completing some national sets (though I will probably never own all of the early Guinea high denomination notes).  I won't list the more common notes, but I think the following are excellent additions to my collection:

https://realbanknotes.com/banknote/41578-Bahrain-p29-20-Dinars-from-2007:  VF condition, but purchased at face value
https://realbanknotes.com/banknote/46522-Oman-p44-5-Rial-Saidi-from-2010:  purchased 4 of these, 3 as investments
https://realbanknotes.com/banknote/3751-Djibouti-p41a-10000-Francs-from-1999:  one of these to help my goal of completing Djibouti set
https://realbanknotes.com/banknote/14191-China-p62-10-Yuan-from-1924: F condition, but becoming scarce
https://realbanknotes.com/banknote/52576-Djibouti-p46-40-Francs-from-2017: one of the cheaper notes I bought today, but an instant favourite for me, as I am a scuba diver, and also dream of swimming with one of these beautiful animals (whale shark)

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
Neat stuff, the Djibouti notes are nice, didn't know about the new commemorative note until now.

Notaphilist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
This is my banknote for Christmas (and also for New Year Eve)

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
A good note, indeed. 

The designs of the Euro notes are certainly something, nothing on them is genuine, meaning it can't be traced to a specific location in any of the EU countries.  I guess they didn't want to offend anyone in the EU.

Notaphilist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 08:51:02 PM »
Yes, it is a nice note. It is one of my super notes.
The 500€ is the last banknote that Osama Bin Laden brought with him before he was killed by Americans.

Now, I am looking for the new 10,20, and 50 Swiss francs. It would cost me around 100 bucks but I think they absolutely worth.

Anyway, how much did you purchase for the 100 Scotland, it is very impressive!!!!

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 07:21:04 AM »
I bought that just a couple of weeks ago from Yuri111, a very good Ebay vendor.  Cost was $465, secured delivery in US.

There were a couple of examples at $400 in Singapore and Australia, but sketchy looking.

a320busdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 06:06:20 AM »
Nice notes everyone. Here is my Christmas gift....I like the odd denomination as well!

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 08:15:29 AM »
You picked a good gift, the French notes are always pleasing.