January 20, 2018, 08:36:49 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: eBay Weirdness  (Read 118 times)

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
eBay Weirdness
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
I've been using eBay for over a decade now, and have never come across an issue with purchases -- specifically, eBay listings vs. PayPal purchases.

Just today I realized that I had a really strange purchase under "Purchase History" when I logged in to eBay.  The sale seemed familiar, but the items did not.  Check it out:

Ebay Image:  check the cost of items, the item numbers, and item descriptions.
PayPal Image:  check the cost of items, the item numbers, and the item descriptions.

In both images the cost of items and item numbers check out.  However, the item descriptions are totally different.  Weird.

I contacted the seller to make sure I got sent the right notes, although a bundle of 100 x $1 Bahamas dollars is a steal of a deal at $22!

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: eBay Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
That's a deal, alright.  The odor of rodents wafts in the vicinity!  Let us know what you get!

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »
Just got a message back from the seller:  all appears to be in order!  I'll be getting what I paid for.  Apparently after I purchased the original 10000 from Djibouti and the 5 from Oman instead of creating new listings for the new notes he simply re-listed the original notes, and changed the details to reflect the new listings.  tonygrants2 has his quirks, but I've purchased many notes from him over the years.

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
Well, that's one way to save the time of typing in a new item title !  Trifle odd, eh?

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
As a programmer, I have to say that eBay should not allow that for this exact reason.  This is exactly the sort of thing that can lead to attempted scams and transaction misunderstandings.  tsk tsk! (*as I shake my finger is disapproval*)

akaardvark387

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 02:46:42 AM »
As I read this thread I was in the train so it was not preferable for me to type on the phone, but I have asked myself: is this not a potential space for a fraud? This seller should be OK, I have also at some point bought something at his shop. But does Ebay also charge something for a listing itself? And one item, with number X, is listed, sold, paid, shipped, rated. X should be its unique ID, or not?

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
I think you just nailed the hide to the barn door.  Relisting a lot has little or no fee, but a new listing does carry a fee.

Not to mention, if your item does not arrive, and you request a refund, and your supposedly unique item number comes up as a different property with a different sales price?