January 20, 2018, 08:32:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: Need help with error in the German P-110a listing on this site  (Read 306 times)

Frankscapp

• View Profile
Need help with error in the German P-110a listing on this site
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »
I hope someone knowledgeable about German Weimar Republic hyper-inflation banknotes can help me.

First I will list the anomalies and then I will include a pic.

1. The watermark on this site and on my note is Hakensterne, aka G/D in stars, so it should be P-110d, but the "d" variations do not include my note. For more on the "d" variations, see the Colnect site:

https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/country/4046-Germany/series/32253-1923_6th_Issues_-_Reichsbanknote_Republic_Treasury_Notes/catalog_code/110

2. The logo, in the lower left corner, is in the form of Greek capital letters "AΣ" in italic format like the P-110a on this site. But it  does not match the standard catalog (as having a thistle watermark, which the lower image on realbanknotes is clearly not a thistle).
3. The serial number is in the upper right corner, unlike all the P-110 varieties on this site or on Colnect.
4. The serial number is preceded by one of the European designations for "number" called a "Numero Sign" (see wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numero_sign). Very unusual for a German Weimar note. Unless I missed something, I haven't found another Weimar note with the Numero Sign as a serial prefix.

Check my pic. I am not including the back side inasmuch as it is exactly like the second image of realbanknote's P-110a and holding it to a light shows exactly the same watermark.

Frank

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with error in the German P-110a listing on this site
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »
I don't think I've seen a 'Numero' sign on any German notes, they're usually 'Nummer' or 'Nr', which is German, not Spanish.

Frankscapp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 06:20:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I have never seen the Numero Sign on German notes. Wikipedia indicates that it has been seen in the Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Russian languages, but seemingly only used in Russia. It is on the Russian keyboard.

And yes, the German abbreviation of the word "number" is apparently "Nr".

Lino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »
Hello Frankscapp,

I did a research in my German Rosenberg catalog.
In this catalog your banknote has the number 109d - the prefix AΣ is unusual for German banknotes, but obviously it existed.
Maybe that only banknotes with this prefix had the serial number printed right above (instead of right below) and added the "№" sign. This abbreviation "№" was very often used in Germany in the past. It is spoken "Numero". Today the use of "№"  is antiquated.
Here you find a German Ebay auction with a similar note like yours:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ro-109d-500-Millionen-Mark-Deutsches-Reich-1923-FZ-A-/292383600826?

PS. I think I found the reason for the error on colnect. Your note on colnect is P-110d/2. They simply misinterpreted the AΣ as a AE. I informed the admins about the error and they corrected it.

Regards
Lino

Frankscapp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 06:51:45 AM »
Lino,

Thank you so much!

Frank

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »
Interesting.  I never thought there would be Greek letters on German paper money.  Crazy!

Lino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
@Frankscapp You're welcome!

@Proteus Inflation was crazy! A banknote like 100 Billion was crazy. Imagine: 100 000 000 000 000!  :)

I don't know, but could it be that the two letters ("Firmenzeichen") were the initials of the printing company, for exemple AS for
Druckerei Arno Schütz. And if another printing company had the name August Saalbach they had to think of something else?
I am no expert in inflation money but it could be an explanation for the Sigma.

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
That would make a great deal of sense.  The simplest answer is most often the correct one.