October 20, 2017, 02:48:21 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Though the parent site, RealBanknotes.com requires an invitation for membership, the RealBanknotes.com Forums are free and open for anyone to join, so if you have any interest in collecting paper money, feel free to register.  Hope to see you on the boards!

Author Topic: Standard Chartered Bank  (Read 285 times)

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Standard Chartered Bank
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:44:49 AM »
Thought I would post this series from the Standard Chartered Bank of Hong Kong, issued in 2010 through 2014.  The series is bright, colorful, and well designed, with the theme of old and new technology.  The three lower values are not expensive and widely available.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
Re: Standard Chartered Bank
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »
I find these dragon designs to be pretty interesting and, quite ironically, the dragon on the 1000 Dollar banknote is the least interesting of the bunch.  I absolutely love the "dragon-fish" and the "bird-dragon".

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
The Dragon Carp is a neat design, I think they are good luck if you have a pond full of them.  The $100 creature is the Qilin, a mythical chimera derived from a deer, they never harm a good person.  The Dragon Bird is the Feng Huang, male/female incarnation of the August Rooster, also good luck. 

I think the SCB has been using these design elements for decades, there is also a Dragon Dog on the first issue, back in 1980.

Well worth picking up the entire gamut of creatures, the notes of the first Series are 50% larger than current issues, and the designs are very appealing.

Proteus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RealBanknotes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »
I don't know what it is, but larger notes at, simply due to their size, more appealing to me.  I guess they look more like art when they can't quite fit in your wallet without being folded twice.

Paxbrit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:02:41 PM »
Some of them are astoundingly large, like the Algerian 1964 Series, or the Russian 500 Ruble note from before 1917.   The French put out some nice large notes for Tahiti, very colorful.  They're large enough you can't meet XF standards for number of folds and still put them in your wallet!